Saturday, August 29, 2015

Naomi Girlfriend: therapy and service

After spending a few hours one Saturday with Naomi (at that time her name was "Winter") and the owners of the rescue place I got her from (after spending many hours with dogs from all sorts of rescue places that day), I decided that she was "the one."  I have no idea what brought me to the point of adopting her... I hadn't intended to get a dog that day, she and I didn't have some magical connection (like my old dog Matty and I had), she was definitely rough around the edges and was far more interested in all the activity around her than she was in me.  I also had always figured I'd get a dog with some lab or retriever in its mix, but had recently also kept my eyes on pit bulls as they are consistently noted as good breeds for children and for therapy and service dogs.

From the initial stages of "actively wanting" a dog, the plan has always been to train her to become a therapy dog.  I have been hospitalized 9 times in a locked psychiatric/behavioral health unit.  Every once in awhile (maybe once in a week or two) someone would bring a therapy dog up to our unit for a little bit.  I don't know how to describe how amazing it was to be with that dog for just a few minutes.  It was like a glimpse of the outside world, but the best of the outside world.  The dogs brought fresh life, joy, peace in their presence, a glimmer of hope in a place lacking hope.  I felt what the dogs did for me, and I saw what it did for other patients. We came together around that dog- took turns petting it, being wowed by its tricks, telling stories of our own pets, sharing of the impact animals had/have in our lives... people that never left their room other than to eat ventured out when a dog came on the unit. People like me that didn't interact with anyone suddenly connected with others. We smiled and laughed and felt okay for a little bit, even after the dog was gone. The visits from therapy dogs made a significant difference in our lives then, and it has impacted me greatly ever since. I want to be able to "pay that forward." And while therapy dogs are increasingly brought to certain populations, it seems that the psych ward is not generally a place people like to go visit- with or without a dog. I want to change that.

While there is ample testimony and observation, honestly there isn't a ton of scientific evidence that can decisively prove that animals have a noteworthy impact on those with mental illnesses, but that is changing.  Much of the effectiveness of animals is attributed to the effect on the hormone oxytocin.
The hormone's influence on our behavior and physiology originates in the brain, where it's produced by the by a structure called the hypothalamus, and then transfers to the pituitary gland which releases into the bloodstream.. Like antennas picking up a signal, oxytocin receptors are found on cells throughout the body. Levels of the hormone tend to be higher during both stressful and socially bonding experiences, according to the American Psychological Association. 
"It's like a hormone of attachment, you might say," said Carol Rinkleib Ellison, a clinical psychologist in private practice in Loomis, California and former assistant clinical psychiatry professor at the University of California, San Francisco. "It creates feelings of calm and closeness." (from 11 Effects of Oxytocin)
The effects of increased levels of this are vast- deeper connection with others, decreased drug cravings, decreased stress, increased sleep, increased generosity, among other things. (10 Reasons Why Oxytocin Is The Most Amazing Molecule In The World offers a quick glimpse of the power of this hormone)

Some of what research has proven in regards to the impact of animals therapeutically include:
  • Increased positive social attention from others and stimulation of social behavior
  • Reduction of depression and promotion of a positive mood
  • Effects of HAI on cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine
  • Effects on blood pressure, heart rate, and heart rate variability
  • Reduction of fear and anxiety and promotion of calmness

This is kind of a disjointed post because I want to include some of the facts and offer some further information, but the reality is that I believe in the therapeutic power of animals because I have seen undeniable effects in myself and others.  I've already seen Naomi Girlfriend be an unofficial "therapy dog" to friends in treatment, friends with mental illnesses, friends just having rough days... and with strangers in these contexts as well.

And, come on, just look at that big ol' smile and tell me your day didn't just get a little bit better!


The Amazing Healing Power of Therapy Dogs
Health Benefits of Animal-Assisted Interventions

No comments:

Post a Comment