Friday, January 8, 2016

"a whispering, wily villain"

"This is a live-in demon. A whispering, wily villain that braids your thoughts with her desires, making you forget what’s yours and what’s hers. It’s a dark and loveless companionship, and you know the only way to live is to leave, and the leaving will shatter the life you knew. It’s when someone wants you hurt and it's when someone wants you dead. And that someone is you."
NAMI (Nation Alliance on Mental Illness) now has a cool spot on their website simply called Personal Stories."  NAMI is known for the research and advocacy and education and I think this place- where real people can talk about what mental illness is really like (not just stats and numbers)- is a beautiful thing.  Some day when you are bored or have a little extra time, read some of the stuff people have written.

The above quote is from the most recent post.  The writer starts by saying:
Before I struggled with depression and anxiety, I had no clue what it meant to be depressed. Now I know, but it’s tough to explain. An attempt, from a bleary-eyed late night when the dark streak in me was stirring something wild: 
I have a ghost, and she lives in me.
I appreciate anyone who can put words to what it is like living with mental illness.  Check out the rest of what this person had to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment