Saturday, November 22, 2014

International Survivors of Suicide Loss Day

For a number of years now I have been one pushing to change the language we use regarding mental illness.  So much of the language used propagates the stigma- furthering ignorance of the masses and alienating those living with mental illnesses.  One of the terms that has bothered me most is "suicide survivors."  (Read more of my thoughts on this in an old post- Suicide Survivors.)  This term has long been given to those who have lost loved ones to suicide.  Without a doubt, to walk forward in the wake of someone in our lives dying by suicide requires unbelievable courage and those who do so ought to be honored and explicitly supported.  I love that a day exists every year to do just that on an international level.

Today I am also deeply appreciative that the name is finally changing to include the one simple word "Loss."  Those of us who wake each day willing to get up and try to do life again, after having survived suicide's attack on our own personal lives... we are the suicide survivors.  To be the one who survives the battle is simply different than surviving the loss the battle has brought about.  Both survive atrocious realities, but they are different and, I think, deserve to be recognized as such.  I struggle so much to find language that does not minimize one.  I just think the way we talk about things, and the labels we often have to use just to be able to conversations, require intentionality and sensitivity.

There are resources and support available to those who have lost loved ones to suicide.  The stigma surrounding mental illness intensifies and makes their journey forward even more difficult than it already is.  Again, I can't emphasize enough the importance of education and growing understanding.

This is a jumbled post... reflective of my jumbled mind... anyway, this is a link to the page of this year's International Survivors of Suicide Loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment